search for stuff

January 31, 2011

bacon-apple grilled cheese

This was an impromptu midnight snack, so pictures were taken with my phone.  I'll have better ones next time :)


There's a reason that bacon is the first word here.  Bacon is very important.  Bacon... is like a gorgeous woman.  It is never unwelcome, seems to fit in anywhere, and even when it is unexpected, it still seems only to improve its surroundings. 

So it's only logical that when one of my roommates (we'll call her Orange Slice) said, "Make me a grilled cheese," it quickly evolved to, "...with bacon!"  As for the last ingredient, let's call it a stroke of fortune.

These sandwiches have this quality of tasting gourmet, but a gifted chimp could make one.  Let's talk about it.

ingredients
-apples (I'd recommend granny smith, or another not-too-sweet variety)
-bacon (I can only hope that you already have bacon in your home, so use what you've got.  If not, you can really go anywhere from smoky to maple here, you're not going to mess it up)
-cheese (the beauty of grilled cheese sandwiches is that there is no wrong cheese to use.  But for this one, we used cheddar... because it was what was in the fridge)
-bread (we used honey wheat)
-cream cheese
-butter

Start with the bacon.  I told you there was a reason it was first.
 
There are a few easy secrets to great bacon.  If your skillet is too hot, the bacon will appear done but it will never get crispy.  So keep your skillet at a medium heat, and don't overload the pan.  Don't fuss with it too much, flip it when it is almost all browned, then give it another minute or so.  It will crisp up when you take it out of the pan, so plop it on some paper towels, and try not to eat it while you cook the next batch.

  

Somebody thought she was getting some bacon.
While your bacon is cooking, core your apples, but don't peel them.  Then slice them into rings about a quarter of an inch thick.  One medium granny smith apple is about enough for 2-3 sandwiches, depending on how much you want on there.

I am terrible at coring apples.
The apples don't take all that long to cook, you don't want them to turn to mush.  I threw them right in with the bacon during the last few batches (I was cooking for 3, here).


While those finish up, spread some cream cheese on one side of the bread, and butter on the outside.  I do not know what inspired me to use the cream cheese, but I am SO glad I did.  I can't explain why.  Just do it.  Trust.

At this point, we just drained the bacon grease from the pan.  Hooray, fewer dishes!

 Home stretch! I'm sure you know how this works.  I found it easier to assemble in the pan, only because I was using shredded cheese.  Place the bread butter-side down.  Add cheese, add bacon, add more cheese, and top with the other piece of bread.  Your skillet should still be on medium heat, so once you see the cheese melting nicely, go ahead and flip it over.  Another couple minutes, and you're good to go.



eat up.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment